Banana Nut Bread2012-06-07
Average Member Rating
(4.5 / 5)
2 People rated this recipe
Banana Nut Bread is actually a cross between bread and cake, so it can eaten as a snack as well as a dessert.
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 to 3 ripe mashed bananas
- Water to equal 1 3/4 cup with bananas
- 1 cup sugar ( can be reduced to 3/4 cup if desired)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup nuts, chocolate chips, or dried fruit (I used chopped almonds)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
With a stand or hand mixer, cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla and eggs and mix well.
In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and baking powder .
In a liquid measuring cup, mash bananas. Add enough water to equal 1 3/4 cup total volume.
Gently stir flour mixture into butter and eggs mixture. Before the whole batter has come together, add banana mixture and stir again gently. Add optional nuts, chocolate chips, or dried fruit and stir just until all ingredients are combined and distributed evenly.
Pour into one large or two mini loaf pans.
Bake for 55-60 minutes (45 minutes for mini loaves).
Remove from oven and cool on rack for 10-15 minutes in the pan. Use a knife to cut around the outside and transfer from pan to the cooling rack. Allow to cool completely.
Store in a bread box. Can be wrapped in plastic and foil and frozen for later use.